I'm still here, I'm just taking an online course to help renew my teaching certificate. It's about contemporary issues in education. This has just started, and already I'm feeling overwhelmed! When I left teaching 7 years ago, there
was no September 11, no shelter in place, no No Child Left Behind, no Adequate Yearly Progress. Duct tape was for holding things together and plastic sheeting was what you put on your carpet when you painted the walls. Our school crisis plan was locking your door when you heard the code phrase on the intercom and unlocking it when the all clear was given. Besides the monthly fire drill and twice yearly tornado drill, that was it. A friend who's a teacher said his school buys bottled water for every student and teacher to have on hand (as well as duct tape, plastic sheeting, and a plan for a mock "port-a-potty") for their shelter in place. Each teacher has a label with each child's name to stick on their clothes during a crisis. My son's school even had a re-unification drill last year to practice getting the kids back to their parents. I'm waaay out of the loop on this one! Anyway, I haven't forgotten any of you, I'm just busy.
On a positive note, we finished painting the kids' bathroom. Yay! Some of you know about our adventures in painting. This one was pretty smooth. Just a wallpaper border to remove. For the record (and you can quote me on this), wallpaper is EVIL!!!!! The people who used to live in this house liked it way too much. Back to the bathroom - now I have to remove the tape, clean all the floorboards (unfortunately, I have to remove some of the previous owners' paint as well as my own), pick out new towel bars, and get them installed. Piece of cake, right?
After this, we need to paint our bedroom, the spare bedroom, and the other 2 bathrooms. Then the whole interior will be done (and we'll need to paint the exterior - UGH!).
Besides the course that I'm freaking out about and painting, N had a field trip and a party last week, we had A's first friend-only birthday party, N has had several soccer games, A has had dance class (which I almost forget about every week!), and I have to tally the volunteer hours from Nathan's school and submit my report. That and the PTO meeting, for which I'm making soup...I'm going to bed now.
Good night to all, and to all a good night!
***edit*** I'm not sure what happened to the font in the middle of my paragraph. Blog gremlins?
2 comments:
Amen to the evils of wallpaper! We had to remove multiple layers at our old house. While there is not wallpaper in our new house, there are scars on the wall where the people who renovated this house removed wallpaper.
When we remodeled Amanda's room in this 100+ year old house, there were 13 layers(!) of wallpaper we scraped off! Then we Kilz primered the walls, and I hired a professional to come in and re-wallpaper (yes, I know - but wallpaper is the only good way to cover old plaster & lathe walls). Looks good now. But it was made me reluctant to do any of our other rooms.
Post a Comment