It starts in gigantic 10-pound chubs:

I usually get three of these. Then I use my handy little kitchen scale to portion it out.

Here's my secret: I only put 3/4 pound in each portion. Most recipes call for 1 pound, but you'll never tell the difference. Well, maybe for meatloaf, but you can just add less bread crumbs. Then I put each portion in a quart-sized freezer bag.

Please pardon the gratuitous product placement. My family does NOT have a Milk Dud problem. We can quit anytime. Really. No, I mean it! This is what 30 pounds of ground beef looks like (notice the subtle topic change....).

This little trick I learned from Maranda. Press the beef flat. Like a pancake. And get as much air out as you can. Then seal the bag. Stack them on the counter and watch your meat stockpile grow...

...and grow...

...and grow...

That is 30 pounds of ground beef. The bag on the right was for that night's dinner, so I figured no point freezing that! Then I put the beef in the freezer (where it stacks neatly). When I need some, it thaws in a sink of warm water in about 5 minutes. Now I'm off to do laundry and make 3 pies for Thanksgiving tomorrow. And deal with 18 pounds of chicken...
No comments:
Post a Comment